Understanding infection control is vital in any healthcare environment, especially for clinical staff. Not only does this protect the patients, but also the staff as well as the general public.
• Identify the meaning of ‘infection’, recognise the signs of it and know its causes
• Have knowledge and understanding of how infection is spread
• Have knowledge and understanding of how to prevent and reduce the spread of infection
• Know what measures can be taken in order to reduce the spread of infection
• Understand hygiene, the importance of disinfection and sterilisation, and how to carry out these procedures to the highest standard required to control infection
• Have understanding of legislation, risk assessment and any other related policies